- Scientists Gather at International Marine Conservation Congress to Develop Global Ocean Refuge System Criteria August 13, 2014
- Marine Conservation Institute Releases SeaStates 2014; Report Card on How Well Individual U.S. States Protect Their Coastal Waters July 15, 2014
- President Obama Announces Plan to Create the Largest Marine Protected Area in the World with Help from Marine Conservation Institute June 17, 2014
- New Online Tool, MPA Campaign Tracker, Enables People to Explore Progress of Global Marine Protected Area Initiatives and Campaigns June 11, 2014
- Hope and GLORES at the 3rd International Marine Conservation Congress August 27, 2014
- Are shark sanctuaries really safe havens for sharks? August 11, 2014
- MPA Campaign Tracker reveals the behind-the-scenes work towards saving our oceans July 11, 2014
- Global Ocean Commission Calls for Regeneration Zones to Recover Ocean Health June 25, 2014
- Obama Steps Up for Oceans June 17, 2014
Marine Conservation Institute is working on a major initiative, the Global Ocean Refuge System (GLORES), a comprehensive science-based strategy for advancing marine protected areas worldwide. Oceans are essential to human survival and prosperity and yet human activities are pushing many critical marine species toward extinction.
Marine protected areas are generally recognized as the best way to protect the diversity and abundance of the ocean's ecosystems, yet less than 2% of the ocean's area is now protected. Progress in establishing effective marine protected areas has been hampered by lack of agreement on protection levels needed to meet conservation goals and lack of clarity on how well existing sites are protected. GLORES (pronounced glôr-ees) will develop and manage objective criteria that incentivize and accelerate the creation of strongly protected marine areas.
15 Ways You Can Help Make GLORES a Reality
We need the world to help make GLORES a reality. Below is a list of several ways you can help.
- Introduce us to your network of marine scientists and conservation groups
- Introduce us to prospective partners, supporters and donors
- Let us use your name on our list of marine scientists that support GLORES
- Post links to globaloceanrefuge.org on your website
- Mention GLORES in your presentations
- Mention GLORES to the media
- Share information about GLORES on your social media channels
- Review and help critique GLORES documents
- Connect us with marine protected area activities in different locations around the world
- Promote strong and effective marine protected areas, the types GLORES seeks to secure
- Share your research on marine protected areas with us
- Give us your biodiversity photos to use
- Make a gift to GLORES
- Become an editor/contributor to MPAtlas
- Join the GLORES newsletter list and get the latest updates delivered straight to your inbox
Or please email Marine Conservation Institute president Lance Morgan with your specific ideas at: HelpWithGLORES@globaloceanrefuge.org
Thank you for any support you can give us!